Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Council of the Township of Coleman held at the
Council Chambers, 937907 Marsh Bay Road, Coleman Township, Ontario on Monday,
December 19th, 2011 at 5:30 P.M.
There were present:
Mayor: D. Cleroux
Councillors: S. Cote
Works Foreman: B. Bigelow
Clerk-Treasurer: C. Bigelow
Fire Chief: D. Laitinen
There were present in the audience: Doug McLeod, Jim Patrick
ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA
Motion 11-12-19 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the agenda for the regular meeting of
December 19th, 2011 as presented: Carried.
DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OR PECUNIARY INTEREST
ADOPTION OF THE MINUTES
Motion 11-12-20 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the minutes of the following Council Meetings be adopted as
distributed: Regular Meeting – December 5, 2011 Carried.
Motion 11-12-21 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the general accounts in the amount of $41,565.33 be passed and paid.
Motion 11-12-22 MOVED BY Susan Cote and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 11-38 being a by-law to rescind By-Law 11-35 be read
a first and second time. Carried.
Motion 11-12-24 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 11-38 be read a third and final time and be passed and enacted. Carried.
Motion 11-12-25 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 11-39 being a by-law to rescind By-Law 11-36 be read a first
and second time. Carried.
Motion 11-12-26 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT By-Law No. 11-39 be read a third and final time and be passed
and enacted. Carried.
Mr. Brian Bigelow presented the Works Department report.
– The Clerk-Treasurer to purchase a inexpensive camera for the Works Department’s use.
– A “No Winter Maintenance” sign will be placed at the end of Kerr Lake Road (Lower O’Brien
to Colonial Hill)
– Mr. Bigelow will purchase gas to be used for the generator should the need arise during the
Motion 11-12-27 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the report provided by Mr. Brian Bigelow,
Works Department, as presented: Carried.
The Clerk-Treasurer report.
– A meeting is scheduled for January 18, 2012 to meet with prospective planners.
– A meeting is scheduled for January 23rd, 2012 to discuss Cobalt Refinery with various ministries
– The recycling survey summary will be reviewed in 2012
– A financial estimate was presented to Council
Motion 11-12-28 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the report provided by the Clerk-Treasurer, as
BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
1. NorthernTel submitted a claim for the damage on Gillies Lake Road when installing the culvert.
2. Community Hall furniture – Council approved Councillor Marcella’s recommendation.
3. Hydro One – Carriere Road – The Clerk-Treasurer to request an estimate from EXP for an
Auto CAD drawing for the new lots.
Conference – THU – roundtable discussions
Council reviewed the following correspondence:
1. 2012 National Sweater Day and Earth Hour – February 9th, 2012
2012 turn off your lights for Earth Hour – March 31st, 2012
2. The next Assessment update will take place in 2012 and will be effective for the period of 2013 to 2016 .
3. Council will review the On Call Plow Operator applications during the closed portion
of the meeting.
4. The Clerk-Treasurer will order the OH&S Due Diligence Handbook
5. The passage of Bill C-13 makes the Federal Gas Tax Fund permanent.
6. Motion 11-12-29 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer be authorized to pay the User Fee for the
City of Temiskaming Shores in the amount of $113.00 to Mr. Richard St. Laurent. Carried.
7. The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services announced the upload of court
security and prisoner transportation costs from municipalities, beginning in 2012.
8. Council approved Ms. Tammy Ramsay, 1st Haileybury Scouting Group’s request for the use
of the community hall for the Beaver Scouts’ overnight camping trip (indoors).
Chief Laitinen presented the Fire Department report
– The Coleman Fire Department assisted with a fire in the Town of Cobalt on December 11th.
– The Christmas lights were judged the week of December 12th.
1st place – Mrs. Terraline Green
2nd place – Mr. Roderick Morin
3rd place – Mrs. Joyce Nadeau
Honourable Mention – Ms. Gloria Neil
Mr. Chuck Angus
Motion 11-12-3028 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council approves the report provided by the Mr. Don Laitinen,
Fire Chief, as presented Carried.
Motion 11-12-31 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Lois Perry:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Clerk-Treasurer be authorized to order tables and chairs from
School House Products Distributor for the amount of $16,827.11
– 20 Midwest hexalite tables
– 2 Midwest heavy duty table carts
– 175 National Public Banquet Chairs – Model 9200 Carried.
Financial Committee – Councillor Marcella presented the Finance Committee Report for
– Canadian Environmental Protection – newsletter
– Scott Burke – styrofoam is recyclable]
– Temiskaming Health Unit Board of Health – minutes
– The Working Forest
– Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
– HazMat Management Magazine
– MISA Ontario – membership
– Integr4ated Accessibility Standards – regulation
– Ontario Mayors’ Municipal Recruiting Report
– DTSSAB – schecule and minutes
– CUI Events – overcoming The Green Premium
– Heritage Matters
IN CAMERA (CLOSED) SESSION
Motion 11-12-32 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Cathy Marcella:
]WHEREAS Section 239(2) states that a meeting or part of a meeting may be closed to the
public if the subject matter being considered is:
(a) personal matters about an identifiable individual, including municipal or local board
( b) litigation or potential litigation, including matters before administrative tribunals,
affecting the municipality or local board;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council agrees to reconvene in closed session at 7:00 p.m. to
discuss the following matter: Incident on Private Property
Review of Applications for On Call Plowing Operato Carried.
Motion 11-12-33 MOVED BY Pat Tresidder and SECONDED BY Susan Cote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Council agrees to reconvene in open session at 7:30 p.m. without
a report Carried.
Motion 11-12-34 MOVED BY Lois Perry and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Mr. Overton Scott Dufresne be hired as “On Call” Snow Plow
Operator for the winter of 2011/2012. Carried.
Motion 11-12-35 MOVED BY Cathy Marcella and SECONDED BY Pat Tresidder:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT this meeting do now adjourn. Carried.
23322 AJ Stone Company 760.49
23323 CIBC 365.08
23324 Exp Geomatics Inc 59.33
23325 HE Brown Supply 1101.75
23326 Hydro One 1998.18
23327 Marks B2B 325.42
23328 Munisoft 5920.75
23329 Municipal Service Provider 400.00
23330 North Cobalt Flea Market 67.45
23331 Orkin 67.80
23332 Spectrum 2453.51
23333 Temiskaming Speaker 246.34
23334 Carswell 98.65
23335 TJ Adshead Electrical 339.00
23336 Virtual Earth Tech 36.78
23338 Kenneth Jones 50.00
23339 Devost’s Valumart 1775.52
23340 Dianne Desormeaux December 2011 692.00
23341 Township of Coleman – Utility Water 976.90
23342 Exp Geomatics Inc 4979.99
23343 Grant Fuels Inc 1243.44
23344 H2O on the Go 38.50
23345 Henderson Recreational Equip 10423.12
23346 Lakeview Signs 63.28
23347 Munisoft 263.06
23348 OMERS December 2011 3951.72
23349 Receiver General Balance of HST 404.00
23350 Rona 231.86
23351 Richard St Laurent User Fee 113.00
23352 Stone Com Ltd 581.08
23353 Union Gas 647.91
23354 Wayne’s Garage 488.00
23355 Xerox Canada 441.83